Happy first day of summer!
Today is going to be a relatively light blog posting day because I’m beat dead tired, and, while we did plenty of work today, we didn’t have a whole lot of obvious results to show for it.
That’s actually one of the things I’ve learned about building guitars. I knew they were marvelous instruments, but I didn’t really know how many details are involved. Details that, even though I’ve been playing for almost 20 years, I’ve never noticed. For example, take a look inside of a nice guitar and notice how clean it is. That was formerly full of sawdust, glue (which gets everywhere, believe you me), and dirt. And all the parts had to be cut just so, else they look sloppy. It’s all perfectly sanded, and joined, and just perfect.
Now that I’m doing it I can’t imagine how it’s possible. But it is.
So, anyway, on to today’s task. I had to put in a lining inside the sides of my guitar, to stiffen and support the sides, which results in lighter bracing for the back and top, which then means more volume (i.e. sound, not mass) coming out of the guitar. Which is a good thing.
We also put on the neck block inside the guitar which is, as you might have guessed, the thing the neck will eventually attach to. This thing is really beginning to look like a real guitar.
We did it with a bunch of clamps which ended up hurting my hand (I feel old). I feel like this post should be called “what I did at summer cramp” because of my hand.
One last note, there is a rare opening at the American School of Lutherie for the Electric Guitar building class for July 8-14. It’s only one week long and you’ll build a guitar from scratch! But seriously, rare opening, this stuff usually has a waiting list.
On last last note. If you have any specific questions, feel free to put them in the comments, send a note, whatever.
On to the photos:
That’s an awful lot of clamps!
And this looks like a guitar!